Thursday 28 June 2012

Beatles perform at the Majestic Ballroom, Birkenhead


Birkenhead is a town near Liverpool where on June 28, 1962 The Beatles performed at the Majestic Ballroom.

The Majestic opened in June 1916 as a cinema, seating 730 patrons. It was renamed Birkenhead Super in 1924 and converted in a "Top Rank Luxury Ballroom" and by 1962 it was a Majestic Ballroom (closed down in 1969) and now a Chinese restaurant.

The Beatles performed here 17 times, the last time on 10 April 1963 (receiving £100)

Copyright notice: the poster (as published on fincharie.com) is presented here under the fair use copyright law

  1. It's a low resolution copy of an advertising poster.
  2. It doesn't limit the copyright owner's rights to sell the poster in any way.
  3. Because of the low resolution, copies could not be used to make illegal copies of the poster.
  4. The image is itself a subject of discussion in the article.
  5. The image is significant because it was used to promote a performance that has not been well documented.

1 comment:

  1. I was 13, my dad worked at the majestic, and I was lucky to see the Beatles play twice there, and meet them and get there autographs, it's funny that there divide was really established even then, Paul and John where up in the coffee bar together, and George and rings where sitting in the managers office. My mum made me a red courderoy pinafore dress, and I wore a black polo neck jumper underneath, and I wore miners way out pink lipstick, which I had to rub off every time I came near my dad. Sometimes it feels like yesterday, not 54 years ago, where has the time gone. It was a great night and I wanted to share my memory with you ingrid

    ReplyDelete